Search This Blog

Friday 22 August 2014

Sleep Deprivation

A woman without sleep is a shell...

You can tell a person who does not sleep well, their eyes are glazed and they have a demeanor that leaks energy, that is because sleep is so important, there are myriad studies on the benefits of sleep, especially following an illness or in my case, surgery.

Having been what I term a 'good' sleeper most of my life, I find lack of sleep or poor quality sleep most frustrating, affecting not only my physical body but my mental faculties and most importantly for those around me, my mood. The restrictions of abdominal surgery mean that certain positions are uncomfortable, and lying on my back is not my preferred position for sleeping; I am a curled cat, a foetal sleeper. I miss sleeping on my side.

Now, I am 7 weeks post-op but I've only really been active over the past two weeks and only pain-free for 1 week following the removal of the stent from my ureter.

My strategies for getting to sleep include the following (no sheep were involved in the counting):

  • Listening to mantras
  • Breathing slowly and deeply
  • Counting down from 100
  • Listing all the states of the USA in alphabetical order
  • Numbering the alphabet e.g. Z=26
  • Trying to remember the Capital Cities of Europe
  • Pulling my hair out!
  • Trying to lie really, really still


No comments:

Post a Comment