Search This Blog

Monday 14 July 2014

It started with a cyst...

I'm reminiscing about the initial diagnosis and urging all women out there to not be fobbed off by their GP, you know your body and if it doesn't feel right get it checked out....

It started with a cyst, on my right ovary, called an endometrioma. Following what was probably years of mis-diagnosis I had endured frequent comments from various GP's (both male and female) saying:

"every woman gets heavy painful periods from time to time"

"it's just something women have to put up with"

"backache is a normal part of life - nearly everyone has an episode of pain once during their lifetime"

"have you tried taking painkillers?" ???????????????

"I'm going to prescribe you....mefenemic acid....the pill.....the depo injection.. the mirena coil is a great preventative measure...how about a hot water bottle...!!!!!!!blah blah blah"

I lost count of how many days I had off school due to heavy periods, leaking blood everywhere, feeling as if my insides were going to explode, bending in half and crawling on the floor with excruciating pain, fainting and feeling lethargic most of the time. Not to mention my studies being affected by lack of concentration and my mental state being eroded by beliefs that it was "all in my head" and something all women have to endure for most of their life. When I tentatively discussed this with my peers they looked at me blankly as if I was exaggerating about the pain so in the end I just said nothing.

I missed social events and work commitments for fear of needing a toilet in case I was bleeding heavily, or not feeling well enough with such low energy I just wanted to lie down. When you live with something for so long it becomes a part of you and you begin to accept it as normal, yet the messiness, the inconvenience and embarrassment of having to make excuses not to do something is NOT normal.

It was only due to a very diligent and compassionate doctor who actually listened to me and suspected I might have a cyst that I was sent me for routine scan. I was not expecting anything to show up so was surprised when the nurse said you have what looks like a cyst on your right ovary, we'll send details of an appointment...then came the first diagnosis of endometriosis at the age of 37....

So I have no regrets about the decision I made to have surgery to remove those parts that caused me nothing but trouble. I only wish it was a more straightforward operation without the added complication of having a cut ureter and endometriosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment